It’s that time of the year folks! Time to brace ourselves for obligatory weather app screenshots and trending weather updates from every social network! While it is more than likely colder on the other side (hopefully you’re not thinking of Los Angeles) you probably want to avoid or limit your time outside. Here are a few productive ideas that’ll give your career a boost!
1. Get Carded…with a business card that is! Be the Networking King/Queen and always have your info ready on a card complete with your photo.
2. Follow the leader: On Twitter & Facebook, start following companies, organizations and notable figures in your chosen field.
3. Get Mentored: Schedule a coffee date with someone you know who snagged the internship you’ve been dying to know more about.
4. Clean up your Act: Double check your Facebook and Twitter to ensure that no inappropriate material has made it through.
5. Get Organized: Clean up anything! Your room, your computer, your planner,etc. Being organized means having clearer goals and objectives.
6. Use what you have: With your school’s Career Center, alumni can still utilize it, and gain valuable advice from the people who live and breath everything career.
7. Set-up your LinkedIn: It’s not just for Business Majors! Set up your professional page to learn about job opportunities and broaden your network.
8. Make an appointment: Through your network, find someone in a job position you can see yourself in and ask to job shadow them.
9. Find a job: Part time jobs can help you develop really important skills like customer service, multitasking and time management.
10. Motivate Someone: After gaining a mentor, use your success to motivate and mentor someone else (preferably a peer). Plus, a little bit of competition never hurt anyone!